The "How To" series - This blog series focuses on helping men with the "how to's" of living a God-Centered life.
Listen to my introduction...
#2 - How To... have a meaningful, intentional daily time with God?
The Bible not meant to inform us. It is meant to transform us.
So how do we grow our daily relationship with our Creator. One key way is by having a daily 10 minute quiet time with God. How do you do that? Here's how...
Tools you need:
A Bible you can write in, a journal or small notebook, a pen, and a highlighter.
These steps will seem a little sterile at first but be faithful and remember it is about a relationship and not a check list. So let's start.
1) Find a quiet place where you can be with God. This needs to be a place you will meet with God everyday.
2) Say short prayer inviting God to be a part of your time. (This is the whole point of having this time – being with God to let Him speak to you through His word)
Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. (Psalms 119:18 NIV)
3) Choose a book in the Bible. It is best to start in the gospels: John first then Mark and then Luke and Matthew.
4) Start reading a chapter and circle works and phrases that stand out to you. Mark your Bible.Don't be afraid to circle words for highlight phrases or verses.
5) After several verses, select one verse that you marked and write it out in your journal or notebook. (You could highlight that verse in your Bible as well.)
6) Read over that verse… PAUSE, WAIT, THINK… What is God saying to you about that verse? Wait for it… wait for it…
7) Write two or three sentences of why that verse is meaningful to you. What is God saying to YOU? Why are you connecting with this verse?
8) Pray to God about what you wrote. You can even write out a prayer if you want.
9) Pick up where you left off tomorrow.
This is about an appointment with God each day. It is about a relationship with your Creator. To simply go through the exercise and check off these steps and say you did misses the point. It is about an intentional relationship with God and letting Him speak to you.